Photo by Inga Smith
Asa Hollenback was born in Missouri in 1847. He was the son of Benj and Malinda Hollenback. An 1883 directory for the City of Columbus lists him as a printer. In 1867, Asa and his wife Rachel had a son that they named Clinton. Clinton Hollenback grew to maturity in downtown Columbus. He married and in 1899 he had a son-Rand. Clinton and his family ran the Hollenback Press and a chicken farming operation. Their farm was in the Clintonville area near California Ave. When Rand grew up he wanted to support the fledging community of Clintonville. In 1933, he started the publication of a newspaper. The name of that paper was decided via a contest. The prize was a $10 gold coin. Over 130 people submitted names to the contest. In the end, F.F. Greene of 127 Brighton Road won the contest with his suggestion "Clintonville Booster".
This name properly represented the newspaper whose intent was to boost the community by encouraging citizens to "Buy Clintonville to buy Ohio to buy American". The Booster remained in the Hollenback family until 1980 when it was sold to Central Ohio Advertisers. Several other exchanges took place over the years. Nowadays, the Booster is part of the Dispatch Printing Company's ThisWeek Community News newspaper network.
The Original Columbus Zoo
Northern Clinton Township was the home of the original Columbus Zoo. In 1904, a group of area businessmen partnered and announced that they would begin a Zoo. It is said that upon hearing the news, Theodore Roosevelt contacted the group and told them he would bring them a bear from his next expedition. The Olentangy Amusement Park response to the news was to announce that they too would be adding animals. The Zoo was only a few miles north of Olentangy Amusement Park but that few miles proved to be devastating. The fledging Zoo suffered and closed.
Return to mural