Photo by Inga Smith
The Clinton Chapel
Thomas Bull arrived in Ohio in 1812. In 1813, he purchased 687.34 acres of land from John Rathbone. His farm occupied the southern portion of the northwest quarter of Clinton Township-roughly the area bounded by Brevoort Road on the north, Weber Road on the south, the river on the west and Interstate 71 on the east.
In 1823, Thomas Bull died. His sons Alanson and Jason were appointed to be executors of the estate. The balance of Bull's land was divided among his heirs. He made a provision in his will for the establishment of a church. That church was built in 1837 at the southern edge of Bull's property and was known as the Clinton Chapel. It stands today as part of the Southwick-Good and Fortkamp Funeral Home. The brothers Bull were known Abolitionists and they served, alongside many of their neighbors, as conductors on the Underground Railroad. Slaves were transported from downtown by the Black Conductors (Lewis and Thomas Washington and Shepard Alexander). They were hidden in barns, cellars and ravines. They were given food, shelter, clothing, and medical attention. The Chapel served as a day room for many of these travelers. When it was time, the Clintonville conductors would take them by wagon to Worthington-the next stop on the Railroad.
OSU's Lawrence-Lee Research Institute has more information on this locale.
Return to mural