Photo by Inga Smith
The Columbus Public Library, Clintonville Branch
The Clintonville Branch of the Columbus Public Library was first established in a storefront at 3317 North High Street. In 1929, the Bilikam Family offered to build a library at 14 Lakeview and rent it to the library for five year at $150 per month. The building has several architectural features that represent the library. In 1969, the library moved to 2800 North High Street. Ultimately, the Beechwold branch and the Clintonville branch of the library were combined into one location at Whetstone Park. Our Whetstone library staff, like their predecessors, is extremely creative in their efforts to make books exciting to all. The Gateway History Murals reflect the image of the Clintonville Woody. This vehicle would have been used by the library staff to visit area schools.
While the first location has remained vacant after the branch moved, the second location is now a residence. The third location is now home to the Lucky Dragon Chinese Restaurant, the Clintonville post office and Vi Stember Florist. Other past known tenants included We Care Hair, China Buffet and AutoWorks Auto Parts.
You can find out more about the Clintonville library at ColumbusMemory.org.
Return to mural