Photo by Julie Schatz and T.J. Hansen
Started in 1888 as an experiment, the Trolley or streetcars operated between downtown Columbus and Clintonville until September 6, 1947. On that day, the streetcars were replaced by electric buses. Without the trolley, Clintonville would not have made its mark on the map. The Streetcars allowed the newly developing middle class to live a distance from where they worked. Riding the trolley was a safe and efficient way to be transported distances longer than would normally be walked. The private companies that owned the cars created amusement parks on the outskirts of downtown to encourage weekend ridership, one of which was Olentangy Amusement Park. The trolley buses vanished in 1965.
Return to mural